Your institution is subscribed to Read Institutional Edition. Log in or Sign Up to read full text articles.

JOURNAL ARTICLE

Outcome of hearing and vertigo after surgery for congenital perilymphatic fistula in children

Peter C Weber, Charles D Bluestone, Blas Perez
American Journal of Otolaryngology 2003, 24 (3): 138-42
12761698

PURPOSE: To determine if surgery to repair a perilymphatic fistula (PLF) has any significant morbidity and to determine the outcome of the surgery in regards to hearing and vertiginous symptoms.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: A retrospective study was performed with all patients undergoing PLF repair at a tertiary medical center. Each patient was assessed for comparison of their pre- and postoperative hearing levels, vertiginous complaints, and recurrences.

RESULTS: One hundred sixty ears were operated on for PLF over a 13-year period. Of the 103 ears positive for PLF, 92% either stabilized or improved their hearing and 3% noticed a decrease, but this was well after surgery and not believed to be related. These results were similar in the non-PLF ears in which 95% had stabilized or improved hearing and again 3% had a much delayed decrease. Of the children who had vertiginous complaints before surgery, 91% were improved or stable. Only 1 child felt somewhat worse, but, as in the hearing loss, this was greater than 6 months after the surgery.

CONCLUSIONS: Surgical repair of PLF does not result in a significant risk for postoperative hearing loss or additional vertiginous complaints. Surgical repair may prevent further deterioration of hearing loss even in those patients in whom a PLF was not identified at the time of surgery.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
12761698
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"

We want to hear from doctors like you!

Take a second to answer a survey question.