JOURNAL ARTICLE

Outcomes and complications of trans-vaginal mesh repair using the Prolift™ kit for pelvic organ prolapse at 4 years median follow-up in a tertiary referral centre

Zainab A Khan, Lee Thomas, Simon J Emery
Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics 2014, 290 (6): 1151-7
24981047

PURPOSE: To evaluate the anatomical, functional and post-operative outcomes of polypropylene mesh (Prolift™) in the surgical management of pelvic organ prolapse (POP).

METHODS: A single-centre observational study of 106 successive patients, who underwent Prolift™ mesh repair (POP ≥ 2) with a median follow-up of 4 years, was performed. Outcomes of interest measured included patient demographics, intra and post-operative complications, concomitant procedures for POP or urinary incontinence. Using the Baden-Walker classification, grade ≥2 prolapses in the operated compartment were deemed as surgical failure. Validated questionnaires including ICIQ-VS and ICIQ-UI were used to assess functional outcome.

RESULTS: Of the 106 patients, 56 had an anterior, 36 a posterior and 14 a total Prolift™. 101 patients were available for follow-up (median 4 years). 82 women underwent a clinical follow-up whilst 19 underwent a telephonic follow-up. Peri-operative bladder injury was noted in 2 (1.9 %) cases. Six (5.6 %) patients developed mesh exposure post-operatively. Re-operation rates for recurrent prolapse in the operated compartment were 2.8 % (n = 3). At follow-up, prolapse recurrence in the operated compartment was noted in another 7.3 % (n = 6) patients. Combining re-operations for POP and recurrences noted during follow-up, the revised failure rate was 10.1 % (n = 9). De novo prolapse in the non-operated compartment occurred in 19.5 % (n = 16) women.

CONCLUSION: Our study demonstrates that Prolift™ vaginal mesh surgery offers anatomical cure rates of 89.9 %. A higher rate of de novo recurrence in the non-operated compartment was noted suggesting that surgical correction in one compartment may exacerbate recurrence in other compartments.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
24981047
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"