MENU ▼
Read by QxMD icon Read
search
OPEN IN READ APP
JOURNAL ARTICLE

Dialysis patients refusing kidney transplantation: data from the Slovenian Renal Replacement Therapy Registry

Jadranka Buturović-Ponikvar, Jakob Gubenšek, Miha Arnol, Andrej Bren, Aljoša Kandus, Rafael Ponikvar
Therapeutic Apheresis and Dialysis 2011, 15 (3): 245-9
21624070
Kidney transplantation is considered the best renal replacement therapy (RRT) for patients with end-stage renal disease; nevertheless, some dialysis patients refuse to be transplanted. The aim of our registry-based, cross-sectional study was to compare kidney transplant candidates to dialysis patients refusing transplantation. Data were collected from the Slovenian Renal Replacement Therapy Registry database, as of 31 December 2008. Demographic and some RRT data were compared between the groups. There were 1448 dialysis patients, of whom 1343 were treated by hemodialysis and 105 by peritoneal dialysis (PD); 132 (9%) were on the waiting list for transplantation, 208 (14%) were preparing for enrollment (altogether 340 [23%] dialysis patients were kidney transplant candidates); 200 (13.7%) patients were reported to refuse transplantation, all ≤ 65 years of age; 345 (24%) were not enrolled due to medical contraindications, 482 (33%) due to age, and 82 (6%) due to other or unknown reasons. No significant difference was found in age, gender, or presence of diabetes between kidney transplant candidates vs. patients refusing transplantation (mean age 50.5 ± 13.9 vs. 51.3 ± 9.6 years, males 61% vs. 63%, diabetics 18% vs. 17%). The proportion of patients ≤ 65 years old who were refusing transplantation was 28% (187/661) for hemodialysis and 17% (13/79) for PD patients (P = 0.03). There is a considerable group of dialysis patients in Slovenia refusing kidney transplantation. Compared to the kidney transplant candidates, they are similar in age, gender and prevalence of diabetes. Patients treated by peritoneal dialysis refuse kidney transplantation less often than hemodialysis patients.

Comments

You need to log in or sign up for an account to be able to comment.

No comments yet, be the first to post one!

Related Papers

Available on the App Store

Available on the Play Store
Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
21624070
×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"