JOURNAL ARTICLE

Prospective analysis of risk factors and distribution of venous thromboembolism in the population-based Malmö Thrombophilia Study (MATS)

Nazim Isma, Peter J Svensson, Anders Gottsäter, Bengt Lindblad
Thrombosis Research 2009, 124 (6): 663-6
19497611

BACKGROUND: Despite venous thromboembolism (VTE) being a major cause of morbidity and mortality, there is still limited information on its prevalence and incidence in the general population.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate risk factors, distribution and epidemiology of VTE in the Malmö area with 280,000 inhabitants.

METHODS: Patients diagnosed with VTE at Malmö University Hospital in 1998-2006 were invited to a prospective population-based study. Blood sampling and a questionnaire study could be performed in 70% of patients. Remaining 30% were excluded due to language problems, dementia, other severe disease, or unwillingness to participate.

RESULTS: During 1998-2006 1140 VTE patients (559 men [49%, age 62+/-16 years] and 581 women [51%, age 61+/-20 years]) were included. Deep venous thrombosis (DVT) occurred in 882 (77%), pulmonary embolism (PE) in 330 (29%), and both DVT and PE in 72 (6%). The most common acquired risk factors among VTE patients were hormone therapy (24% of female DVT patients and 19% of female PE patients), immobilisation (17% of DVT patients and 18% of PE patients), previous surgery (13% of DVT patients and 19% of PE patients), and concomitant malignant disease (12% of DVT patients and 11% of PE patients). A positive family history for VTE was obtained from 25% of DVT patients and 22% of PE patients. Yearly incidences of VTE, DVT and PE in Malmö were 66, 51, and 19/100.000, respectively.

CONCLUSION: Hormone therapy, immobilisation, previous surgery and concomitant malignancy were the most common acquired risk factors among VTE patients in this population-based study. The VTE-incidence was lower than in earlier epidemiological studies.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
19497611
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"