JOURNAL ARTICLE

What is the true incidence of horizontal semicircular canal benign paroxysmal positional vertigo?

Burak Omür Cakir, Ibrahim Ercan, Zeynep Alkan Cakir, Senol Civelek, Ibrahim Sayin, Suat Turgut
Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery 2006, 134 (3): 451-4
16500443

OBJECTIVE: To assess the correct incidence of horizontal semicircular canal (H-SCC) benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

STUDY DESIGN: Retrospective assessment of patients with BPPV.

METHODS: All patients with BPPV were included and the rates of involvement of posterior, horizontal, and anterior SCCs were determined.

RESULTS: One hundred sixty-nine patients with the diagnosis of BPPV were evaluated. One hundred forty-four patients (85.2%) were found to have posterior SCC (P-SCC) involvement, and there were 20 patients (11.8%) with horizontal SCC (H-SCC) and 2 patients (1.2%) with anterior SCC (A-SCC) involvement. Three patients (1.8%) had simultaneous H-SCC and P-SCC BPPV ipsilaterally. Geotropic nystagmus was seen in 17 out of 23 patients (73.9%) in roll test, and ageotropic nystagmus was seen in the remaining 6 patients (26.1%).

CONCLUSION: H-SCC constitutes 13.6% of all BPPV cases. H-SCC BPPV with geotropic nystagmus is more common. H-SCC BPPV can coexist with ipsilateral P-SCC BPPV. However, in some cases of H-SCC BPPV, Dix-Hallpike maneuver can cause vertigo and horizontal nystagmus. This may be confused with P-SCC BPPV. Therefore, the roll test must be performed in all cases in addition to Dix-Hallpike maneuver and both ears must be evaluated with respect to all SCCs for BPPV.

EBM RATING: C-4.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
16500443
×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"