JOURNAL ARTICLE

Prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus in South India (Tamil Nadu)—a community based study

V Seshiah, V Balaji, Madhuri S Balaji, A Paneerselvam, T Arthi, M Thamizharasi, Manjula Datta
Journal of the Association of Physicians of India 2008, 56: 329-33
18700640

AIM: Women diagnosed to have Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) are at increased risk of developing diabetes in future. Thus, diagnosis of GDM is an important public health issue. In a random survey 16.2% of pregnant women were found to have GDM in the Chennai urban population. Hence we undertook a planned community based study to ascertain the prevalence of GDM.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: We conducted a prospective screening for GDM in the urban, semi urban and rural areas. All pregnant women irrespective of gestational weeks underwent a 75 g glucose challenge test in the fasting state. Diagnosis of GDM was made if the 2 hr plasma glucose was > or = 140 mg/dl (WHO criteria).

RESULTS: A total of 4151, 3960 and 3945 pregnant women were screened in urban, semi urban and rural areas, respectively. GDM was detected in 739 (17.8%) women in urban, 548 (13.8%) in semi urban and 392 (9.9%) in rural areas. Out of 1679 GDM women, 1204 (72%) were detected in first visit and the remaining 28% in subsequent visits. A significant increase (P < 0.0001) in the prevalence of GDM was observed with family history of diabetes, increased maternal age and BMI. A trend for increased prevalence of GDM was observed in women with less physical activity, however, not statistically significant.

CONCLUSION: In this community based study, the prevalence of GDM varied in the urban, semi urban and rural areas. Age > or = 25 years, BMI > or = 25 and family history of diabetes were found to be risk factors for GDM.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
18700640
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"