Read by QxMD icon Read


shared collection
9 papers 0 to 25 followers
Tiago De Freitas, Sarah Marktel, Simona Piemontese, Matteo G Carrabba, Cristina Tresoldi, Carlo Messina, Maria Teresa Lupo Stanghellini, Andrea Assanelli, Consuelo Corti, Massimo Bernardi, Jacopo Peccatori, Luca Vago, Fabio Ciceri
Relapse represents the most significant cause of failure of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) for FLT3-ITD-positive acute myeloid leukemia (AML), and available therapies are largely unsatisfactory. In this study, we retrospectively collected data on the off-label use of the tyrosine kinase inhibitor sorafenib, either alone or in association with hypomethylating agents and adoptive immunotherapy, in 13 patients with post-transplantation FLT3-ITD-positive AML relapses. Hematological response was documented in 12 of 13 patients (92%), and five of 13 (38%) achieved complete bone marrow remission...
June 2016: European Journal of Haematology
Felicitas Thol, Richard F Schlenk, Michael Heuser, Arnold Ganser
Between 10% and 40% of newly diagnosed patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) do not achieve complete remission with intensive induction therapy and are therefore categorized as primary refractory or resistant. Few of these patients can be cured with conventional salvage therapy. They need to be evaluated regarding eligibility for allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) as this is currently the treatment with the highest probability of cure. To reduce the leukemia burden prior to transplantation, salvage chemotherapy regimens need to be employed...
July 16, 2015: Blood
Christoph Röllig, Martin Bornhäuser, Michael Kramer, Christian Thiede, Anthony D Ho, Alwin Krämer, Kerstin Schäfer-Eckart, Hannes Wandt, Mathias Hänel, Hermann Einsele, Walter E Aulitzky, Norbert Schmitz, Wolfgang E Berdel, Matthias Stelljes, Carsten Müller-Tidow, Utz Krug, Uwe Platzbecker, Martin Wermke, Claudia D Baldus, Stefan W Krause, Friedrich Stölzel, Malte von Bonin, Markus Schaich, Hubert Serve, Johannes Schetelig, Gerhard Ehninger
PURPOSE: The presence of a mutated nucleophosmin-1 gene (NPM1(mut)) in acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is associated with a favorable prognosis. To assess the predictive value with regard to allogeneic stem-cell transplantation (SCT), we compared the clinical course of patients with NPM1(mut) AML eligible for allogeneic SCT in a donor versus no-donor analysis. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Of 1,179 patients with AML (age 18 to 60 years) treated in the Study Alliance Leukemia AML 2003 trial, we identified all NPM1(mut) patients with an intermediate-risk karyotype...
February 10, 2015: Journal of Clinical Oncology: Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology
Lamia Ibrahem, Rabab Mahfouz, Loie Elhelw, Eman M Abdsalam, Rehan Soliman
Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) represents a heterogeneous group of malignancies with great variability in clinical course and response to therapy. Several molecular markers have been described that help to classify AML patients into risk groups. Mutations in DNA methyltransferase 3A (DNMT3A) gene were recently demonstrated in AML. Approximately 20% patients with AML carry DNMT3A gene mutations and were associated with a poor clinical outcome but its clinical implications in Egyptian AML patients are largely unknown...
January 2015: Blood Cells, Molecules & Diseases
Dorothée Selimoglu-Buet, Eric Solary
Chronic myelomonocytic leukemia is a clonal malignancy of the ageing hematopoietic stem cell characterized by a biased differentiation leading to persistent monocytosis and inconstant hypersensitivity of myeloid progenitors to granulo-monocyte colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF). Cytogenetic abnormalities identified in 30-40 % of patients and gene mutations detected in every patient can be used to stratify patients into risk groups that guide the therapeutic choices. TET2, SRSF2, ASXL1, and genes of the Ras pathway are the most frequently mutated genes, with ASXL1 mutations negatively affecting the disease outcome...
December 2014: Current Hematologic Malignancy Reports
Uri Rozovski, Maro Ohanian, Farhad Ravandi, Guillermo Garcia-Manero, Stefan Faderl, Sherry Pierce, Jorge Cortes, Zeev Estrov
It is thought that the low incidence of central nervous system (CNS) involvement in acute myeloid leukemia (AML) does not justify routine CNS prophylaxis, as high-dose cytarabine eliminates CNS disease. To investigate whether chemotherapy that does not include high-dose cytarabine increases the risk of CNS involvement, the medical records of 1412 newly diagnosed patients with AML were reviewed. In 1370 patients, lumbar puncture (LP) was performed only if clinically indicated, and CNS disease was detected in 45 (3...
May 2015: Leukemia & Lymphoma
Elias Jabbour, Guillermo Garcia-Manero
Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) are a diverse group of myeloid disorders, with patients being at risk for cytopenias or progression to acute myeloid leukemia. Several classification and prognostic scoring systems have been developed. High-intensity treatments are not appropriate for all patients. Two demethylating agents, azacitidine and decitabine, are approved for the treatment of MDS, although many patients do not derive long-term benefit and eventually progress. Deacetylase inhibitors have emerged as novel treatment candidates based on mechanistic rationale and preliminary data...
May 2015: Leukemia & Lymphoma
Guilin Tang, Liping Zhang, Bin Fu, Jianhua Hu, Xinyan Lu, Shimin Hu, Ankita Patel, Maitrayee Goswami, Joseph D Khoury, Guillermo Garcia-Manero, L Jeffrey Medeiros, Sa A Wang
Approximately 30% of patients with chronic myelomonocytic leukemia (CMML) have karyotypic abnormalities and this low frequency has made using cytogenetic data for the prognostication of CMML patients challenging. Recently, a three-tiered cytogenetic risk stratification system for CMML patients has been proposed by a Spanish study group. Here we assessed the prognostic impact of cytogenetic abnormalities on overall survival (OS) and leukemia-free survival (LFS) in 417 CMML patients from our institution. Overall, the Spanish cytogenetic risk effectively stratified patients into different risk groups, with a median OS of 33 months in the low-, 24 months in intermediate- and 14 months in the high-risk groups...
August 2014: American Journal of Hematology
Elias Jabbour, Hady Ghanem, Xuelin Huang, Farhad Ravandi, Guillermo Garcia-Manero, Susan O'Brien, Stephan Faderl, Sherry Pierce, Sangbum Choi, Srdan Verstovsek, Mark Brandt, Jorge Cortes, Hagop Kantarjian
We assessed the outcomes of 63 patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) arising from myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) after hypomethylating agent failure. Their median age was 63 years. All 63 patients had received ≥ 1 salvage regimens for AML, and 35 patients (55%) had received ≥ 2. Of the 31 patients (49%) who had received high-dose cytarabine (HDAC) at first relapse, 2 (6%) achieved complete remission (CR) and 4 (13%) CR with incomplete platelet recovery (overall response rate, 19%). Of the 32 patients (51%) who had received other treatments, including investigational agents, 4 (12%) achieved CR and 4 (12%) CR with incomplete platelet recovery (overall response rate, 24%)...
April 2014: Clinical Lymphoma, Myeloma & Leukemia
Fetch more papers »
Fetching more papers... Fetching...
Read by QxMD. Sign in or create an account to discover new knowledge that matter to you.
Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"