JOURNAL ARTICLE
Add like
Add dislike
Add to saved papers

Periurethral fat injection in the treatment of recurrent genuine stress incontinence.

Journal of Urology 1998 Februrary
PURPOSE: We evaluated the efficacy, safety and mechanism of periurethral fat injection in the treatment of recurrent genuine stress incontinence.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: Periurethral fat injections were performed in 26 patients for the treatment of recurrent genuine stress incontinence. A complete urogynecological study, including a 1-hour pad test, urodynamic studies and chain urethrocystography were done in each case and were repeated at least 3 months after operation. Each patient was followed for at least 12 months.

RESULTS: Of 26 patients 13 (50%) were dry after operation and 4 (15.4%) showed improvement and were satisfied with the results of the operation, giving a total success rate of 65.4%. There were 6 cases of immediate postoperative minor complications (23%). Average volume of injected fat was 14.8 +/- 4.8 cc, which did not affect the success rate. Preoperative and postoperative chain urethrocystographic values for bladder neck descent in reference to the pubosacral tip line showed no statistical difference between successfully and unsuccessfully treated groups. Urodynamic studies in all cases showed no differences relating to operation. However, minimal urethral resistance increased from 0.122 +/- 0.061 to 0.205 +/- 0.134 (p = 0.023) in the treatment success group. This change was not demonstrated in the treatment failure group.

CONCLUSIONS: Periurethral fat injection for the treatment of recurrent genuine stress incontinence is a simple technique that works by the increment of urethral resistance. It has an acceptable success rate without financial outlay for the injected material.

Full text links

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Group 7SearchHeart failure treatmentPapersTopicsCollectionsEffects of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Patients With Heart Failure Importance: Only 1 class of glucose-lowering agents-sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors-has been reported to decrease the risk of cardiovascular events primarily by reducingSeptember 1, 2017: JAMA CardiologyAssociations of albuminuria in patients with chronic heart failure: findings in the ALiskiren Observation of heart Failure Treatment study.CONCLUSIONS: Increased UACR is common in patients with heart failure, including non-diabetics. Urinary albumin creatininineJul, 2011: European Journal of Heart FailureRandomized Controlled TrialEffects of Liraglutide on Clinical Stability Among Patients With Advanced Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction: A Randomized Clinical Trial.Review

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Read by QxMD is copyright © 2021 QxMD Software Inc. All rights reserved. By using this service, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy.

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app