JOURNAL ARTICLE

Concurrent carboplatin, etoposide and thoracic radiation for poor-risk stage III non-small-cell lung carcinoma: a pilot study

D H Lau, J K Ryu, D R Gandara, S A Rosenthal
International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 1997 April 1, 38 (1): 157-61
9212018

PURPOSE: A pilot study was conducted to assess the tolerance and efficacy of concurrent carboplatin, etoposide, and thoracic radiation in poor-risk patients with Stage III non-small-cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC).

METHODS AND MATERIALS: Patients had Stages IIIA/IIIB NSCLC and were ineligible for available clinical trials employing cisplatin-based chemoradiation due to one or more protocol-defined poor-risk factors or concomitant medical conditions. Treatment consisted of thoracic radiation, 1.8 to 2 Gy daily, to the primary tumor and regional lymph nodes to a total dose of 61 Gy. Concurrently, patients received carboplatin 200 mg/m2/day intravenously on days 1, 3, 29, and 31, and etoposide 50 mg/m2/day intravenously on days 1-4 and 29-32. Response was assessed by chest computed tomography (CT) 4 weeks after treatment was completed.

RESULTS: A total of 26 patients were enrolled and 23 of these patients, including 11 with Stage IIIA and 12 Stage IIIB NSCLC, were eligible and assessable. Ninety-six percent (96%) of the patients completed the two planned courses of chemotherapy, and 87% completed the planned chest radiation. Grade III/IV toxicities included neutropenia in nine patients (39%), thrombocytopenia in five (22%), esophagitis in seven (30%), and nausea in two (9%). One patient died of a pulmonary embolism during treatment, and another died of complications due to a tracheoesophageal fistula. Four patients (17%) achieved a complete response and 16 (70%) a partial response, yielding an overall response rate of 87%. The median survival was 12 months, and the 2-year actuarial survival was 40%.

CONCLUSION: This treatment regimen was well tolerated, with promising response and survival in poor-risk patients with Stage III NSCLC. These results are being validated in a Phase II trial conducted by the Southwest Oncology Group.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
9212018
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"