Your institution is subscribed to Read Institutional Edition. Log in or Sign Up to read full text articles.

JOURNAL ARTICLE

Long-term results of urolume urethral stent for recurrent urethral strictures

E Milroy, A Allen
Journal of Urology 1996, 155 (3): 904-8
8583603

PURPOSE: We present the long-term results of the first 50 patients treated with a new urethral stent (UroLume) developed in 1985 for recurrent bulbomembranous urethral strictures.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: All stents were inserted with the patient under general anesthesia using a standard endoscopic delivery system. Of the patients 27 were followed for 5 years or longer, 5 for 4 years and 18 for shorter periods due to death, illness or other factors.

RESULTS: Mean (plus or minus standard deviation) maximum flow rate at last following was 19.7 ml. per second (+/- 6.9), and 93% of the patients were satisfied with the stent. In 8 patients (16%) narrowing developed within the lumen of the stent and in the remaining 84% the stent achieved its purpose of maintaining a good urethral lumen. In 9 patients stricture recurred outside the stent because of inaccurate positioning. All of these complications were satisfactorily treated by an additional overlapping stent. Failures occurred particularly in patients with a long stricture history and extensive periurethral fibrosis.

CONCLUSIONS: These results indicate that at 4 to 6 years promising early results with the UroLume stent for urethral strictures are maintained with a low late failure rate. This device is not suitable for all strictures and cases with extensive periurethral fibrosis should be avoided but it remains a useful and successful treatment option for many recurrent bulbomembranous urethral strictures.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
8583603
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"

We want to hear from doctors like you!

Take a second to answer a survey question.