Add like
Add dislike
Add to saved papers

Results of the Endophthalmitis Vitrectomy Study. A randomized trial of immediate vitrectomy and of intravenous antibiotics for the treatment of postoperative bacterial endophthalmitis. Endophthalmitis Vitrectomy Study Group.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the roles of immediate pars plana vitrectomy (VIT) and systemic antibiotic treatment in the management of postoperative endophthalmitis.

DESIGN: Investigator-initiated, multicenter, randomized clinical trial.

SETTING: Private and university-based retina-vitreous practices.

PATIENTS: A total of 420 patients who had clinical evidence of endophthalmitis within 6 weeks after cataract surgery or secondary intraocular lens implantation.

INTERVENTIONS: Random assignment according to a 2 x 2 factorial design to treatment with VIT or vitreous tap or biopsy (TAP) and to treatment with or without systemic antibiotics (ceftazidime and amikacin).

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: A 9-month evaluation of visual acuity assessed by an Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study acuity chart and media clarity assessed both clinically and photographically.

RESULTS: There was no difference in final visual acuity or media clarity with or without the use of systemic antibiotics. In patients whose initial visual acuity was hand motions or better, there was no difference in visual outcome whether or not an immediate VIT was performed. However, in the subgroup of patients with initial light perception-only vision, VIT produced a threefold increase in the frequency of achieving 20/40 or better acuity (33% vs 11%), approximately a twofold chance of achieving 20/100 or better acuity (56% vs 30%), and a 50% decrease in the frequency of severe visual loss (20% vs 47%) over TAP. In this group of patients, the difference between VIT and TAP was statistically significant (P < .001, log rank test for cumulative visual acuity scores) over the entire range of vision.

CONCLUSIONS: Omission of systemic antibiotic treatment can reduce toxic effects, costs, and length of hospital stay. Routine immediate VIT is not necessary in patients with better than light perception vision at presentation but is of substantial benefit for those who have light perception-only vision.

Full text links

We have located links that may give you full text access.
Can't access the paper?
Try logging in through your university/institutional subscription. For a smoother one-click institutional access experience, please use our mobile app.

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Group 7SearchHeart failure treatmentPapersTopicsCollectionsEffects of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Patients With Heart Failure Importance: Only 1 class of glucose-lowering agents-sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors-has been reported to decrease the risk of cardiovascular events primarily by reducingSeptember 1, 2017: JAMA CardiologyAssociations of albuminuria in patients with chronic heart failure: findings in the ALiskiren Observation of heart Failure Treatment study.CONCLUSIONS: Increased UACR is common in patients with heart failure, including non-diabetics. Urinary albumin creatininineJul, 2011: European Journal of Heart FailureRandomized Controlled TrialEffects of Liraglutide on Clinical Stability Among Patients With Advanced Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction: A Randomized Clinical Trial.Review

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Read by QxMD is copyright © 2021 QxMD Software Inc. All rights reserved. By using this service, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy.

You can now claim free CME credits for this literature searchClaim now

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app