Add like
Add dislike
Add to saved papers

Clinical Features and the Outcome Evaluations of Keloid and Hypertrophic Scar Treatment with Triamcinolone Injection in Mekong Delta, Vietnam - A Cross-Sectional Study.

BACKGROUND: Excessive scarring is a common problem that can have significant cosmetic and psychological consequences for patients. Intralesional injection therapy, such as the use of triamcinolone, has emerged as an effective treatment option for hypertrophic scars. The objective of this study was to describe the morphological features of hypertrophic scars, categorize them, and evaluate the efficacy of triamcinolone injection therapy in treating these scars.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: A cross-sectional descriptive study of 80 patients with hypertrophic scars treated with triamcinolone intralesional injection at Can Tho University of Medicine and Pharmacy Hospital from 5/2018 to 5/2021.

RESULTS: There were 80 patients in all, with a male/female ratio of 1/1.05 and a median age of 15-35. There were 129 scars in all, with scar age >1 year accounting for 83%, keloid scars accounting for 64%, and hypertrophic scars accounting for the remaining 36%. Scars are most commonly seen on the trunk, accounting for 53.5% of all scars, particularly on the anterior chest wall. When the source of scars was discovered, trauma and acne accounted for 24% and 23%, respectively, while the rest were predominantly spontaneous scars, accounting for 49%. Scarring and discomfort of mild to moderate severity were common clinical symptoms; scars larger than 5cm in size had more symptoms than scars smaller than 5cm. Prior to the therapy, the mean Vancouver Score Scale-VSS was 6.55±2.13. After 24 weeks of the therapy, 96.7% of patients had entirely improved itching symptoms, 75% had completely improved pain, and 25% still had minimal pain. After therapy, the mean Vancouver Score Scale-VSS was 2.55±1.81 (p<0.05). At week 24, 3.75% of patients experienced skin shrinkage, 3.75% experienced depigmentation, and 13.75% experienced vasodilation.

CONCLUSION: Triamcinolone intralesional injection should be utilized as a first-line therapy for hypertrophic scarring.

Full text links

We have located links that may give you full text access.
Can't access the paper?
Try logging in through your university/institutional subscription. For a smoother one-click institutional access experience, please use our mobile app.

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Mobile app image

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2024 by WebMD LLC.
This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.

By using this service, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy.

Your Privacy Choices Toggle icon

You can now claim free CME credits for this literature searchClaim now

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app