JOURNAL ARTICLE
Add like
Add dislike
Add to saved papers

Chalazion: racial risk factors for formation, recurrence, and surgical intervention.

OBJECTIVE: An association between race and formation of chalazion has yet to be objectively established. This study investigates race as a risk factor for chalazion and chalazion surgery. Understanding racial risk factors in formation of chalazion, recurrent chalazion, and chalazion requiring surgery (often with general anesthesia in children) informs decisions regarding eyelid hygiene, early topical medical therapy, and aggressiveness with oral antibiotic therapy for coexisting conditions such as blepharitis.

METHODS: Demographic data was collected for all pediatric visits to the University of Wisconsin-Madison ophthalmology department from 2012-2019. Retrospective chart review was performed for the subset with chalazion.

RESULTS: Of 28 433 minors, 584 had 1088 chalazia, a 2% overall rate. Chalazion was seen in 1.8% of non-Hispanic/Latino participants and 3.8% of Hispanic/Latino participants (p value <0.0001). Chalazion was seen in 1.7% of white participants, compared to 4.3% of American Indian or Alaska Native participants (p value <0.0001) and 4.0% of Asian participants (p value <0.0001). More than one chalazion was recorded in 31% of subjects without coexisting meibomian gland disease, blepharitis, or marginal keratitis, and in 56% (p < 0.0001) with one of these conditions. Repeated diagnoses of chalazion on separate encounters were seen in 17% without these conditions and in 33% (p < 0.0001) with one of these conditions.

CONCLUSION: Hispanic/Latino, American Indian, and Asian participants developed chalazion at a rate higher than other racial/ethnic groups, whereas patients with meibomian gland disease or blepharitis are especially at risk for developing multiple chalazia on separate encounters. No group was more likely to require surgical intervention than any other.

Full text links

We have located links that may give you full text access.
Can't access the paper?
Try logging in through your university/institutional subscription. For a smoother one-click institutional access experience, please use our mobile app.

Add to Saved Papers

Get 1-tap access

Management of Latent Tuberculosis Infection.JAMA 2023 January 20
How I Treat Multiple myeloma in the geriatric patient.Blood 2023 January 25

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Group 7SearchHeart failure treatmentPapersTopicsCollectionsEffects of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Patients With Heart Failure Importance: Only 1 class of glucose-lowering agents-sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors-has been reported to decrease the risk of cardiovascular events primarily by reducingSeptember 1, 2017: JAMA CardiologyAssociations of albuminuria in patients with chronic heart failure: findings in the ALiskiren Observation of heart Failure Treatment study.CONCLUSIONS: Increased UACR is common in patients with heart failure, including non-diabetics. Urinary albumin creatininineJul, 2011: European Journal of Heart FailureRandomized Controlled TrialEffects of Liraglutide on Clinical Stability Among Patients With Advanced Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction: A Randomized Clinical Trial.Review

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Read by QxMD is copyright © 2021 QxMD Software Inc. All rights reserved. By using this service, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy.

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app