Add like
Add dislike
Add to saved papers

Resection of Parapharyngeal Space Tumors Located in the Prestyloid Compartment: Efficacy of the Cervical Approach.

BACKGROUND: Parapharyngeal space tumors are rare. Among them, tumors in the prestyloid compartment are particularly suitable for surgery; however, there are no detailed reports of such surgery and their features remain unknown.

METHODS: We conducted a retrospective cohort study. For 67 surgical cases of benign tumors in this compartment, we examined the patient and tumor characteristics, fine-needle aspiration cytology (FNAC), and intraoperative details such as surgical approach, use of complete excision, and postoperative complications.

RESULTS: Pleomorphic adenomas (PAs) comprised 73.1% of the lesions. The diagnostic accuracy of FNAC to differentiate benign and malignant tumors was 97.7%. Of the treated lesions, 94.0% were removed via the cervical approach alone, including all PAs. The remaining 6.0% were resected via the cervical-parotid approach. The median operative time and bleeding volume were 89 min and 50 mL, respectively. Operative time using the cervical approach was significantly shorter (p = 0.021). All cases could be treated via complete surgical excision. Postoperative complications occurred in 32.8% of patients, with transient slight facial palsy being the most common. No fatal complications occurred and 92.5% of patients had no sequelae. There was no significant association between complications and surgical approach.

CONCLUSION: Based on diagnosis by FNAC, with a high accuracy rate, most benign prestyloid tumors, especially PAs, were resected using the cervical approach alone, with a shorter operative time and without severe complications.

Full text links

We have located links that may give you full text access.
Can't access the paper?
Try logging in through your university/institutional subscription. For a smoother one-click institutional access experience, please use our mobile app.

Related Resources

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Mobile app image

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2024 by WebMD LLC.
This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.

By using this service, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy.

Your Privacy Choices Toggle icon

You can now claim free CME credits for this literature searchClaim now

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app