OPEN IN READ APP
JOURNAL ARTICLE

Multiple drilling and multiple matchstick-like bone allografts for large osteonecrotic lesions in the femoral head: an average 3-year follow-up study

Jun-Ki Moon, Jae Youn Yoon, Chul-Ho Kim, Sun Hyung Lee, Aditya L Kekatpure, Jun Seong Lee, Pil Whan Yoon
Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery 2020 February 7
32034479

INTRODUCTION: We aimed to present the clinical outcomes of multiple drilling and multiple matchstick-like bone allograft for large osteonecrotic lesions of the femoral head as a joint-preserving surgery.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: Between March 2014 and March 2018, 57 patients (77 hips) who underwent multiple drilling and multiple matchstick-like bone allograft for large lesions (≥ 30%) in osteonecrosis of the femoral head (ONFH) were included. Harris hip scores (HHS) and Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC) were obtained preoperatively and at the latest follow-up. Plain radiographs were obtained every 3 months. Femoral head collapse ≥ 2 mm was defined as a radiological failure, and conversion to total hip arthroplasty (THA) was regarded as a clinical failure.

RESULTS: After exclusion of 5 patients (5 hips) who lost to follow-up, 52 patients (34 men, 18 women; 72 hips) were finally enrolled. The mean follow-up period was 3.4 (range 2-4.5) years. Nineteen hips (28.4%) required conversion to THA at a mean of 21.6 (range 6-42) months postoperatively. In the remaining 53 hips (71.6%) with clinical success, the mean HHS and WOMAC improved from 63 and 31.3 preoperatively to 80.6 and 16.3 at the final follow-up, respectively (p < 0.001). Radiological failure occurred in four hips (6%). The overall failure rate was 31.9% (23/72 hips), and the mean survival duration until failure was 21.2 months (6-42 months). The lesion size, lesion location, and the use of corticosteroids as the cause of ONFH were associated with clinical failure.

CONCLUSION: Multiple drilling and multiple matchstick-like bone allograft may be a useful treatment option for alleviating the symptoms in ONFH patients with large lesions who want to preserve their hips.

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Available on the App Store

Available on the Play Store
Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
32034479
×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"