MENU ▼
Read by QxMD icon Read
search
OPEN IN READ APP
JOURNAL ARTICLE

Machine Learning-Assisted System for Thyroid Nodule Diagnosis

Bin Zhang, Jie Tian, Shufang Pei, Yubing Chen, Xin He, Yuhao Dong, Lu Zhang, Xiaokai Mo, Wenhui Huang, Shuzhen Cong, Shuixing Zhang
Thyroid: Official Journal of the American Thyroid Association 2019 April 27
30929637
Background: Ultrasound (US) examination is helpful in the differential diagnosis of thyroid nodules (malignant vs. benign), but its accuracy relies heavily on examiner experience. Therefore, the aim of this study was to develop a less subjective diagnostic model aided by machine learning. Methods: A total of 2064 thyroid nodules (2032 patients, 695 male; M age  = 45.25 ± 13.49 years) met all of the following inclusion criteria: (i) hemi- or total thyroidectomy, (ii) maximum nodule diameter 2.5 cm, (iii) examination by conventional US and real-time elastography within one month before surgery, and (iv) no previous thyroid surgery or percutaneous thermotherapy. Models were developed using 60% of randomly selected samples based on nine commonly used algorithms, and validated using the remaining 40% of cases. All models function with a validation data set that has a pretest probability of malignancy of 10%. The models were refined with machine learning that consisted of 1000 repetitions of derivatization and validation, and compared to diagnosis by an experienced radiologist. Sensitivity, specificity, accuracy, and area under the curve (AUC) were calculated. Results: A random forest algorithm led to the best diagnostic model, which performed better than radiologist diagnosis based on conventional US only (AUC = 0.924 [confidence interval (CI) 0.895-0.953] vs. 0.834 [CI 0.815-0.853]) and based on both conventional US and real-time elastography (AUC = 0.938 [CI 0.914-0.961] vs. 0.843 [CI 0.829-0.857]). Conclusions: Machine-learning algorithms based on US examinations, particularly the random forest classifier, may diagnose malignant thyroid nodules better than radiologists.

Comments

You need to log in or sign up for an account to be able to comment.

No comments yet, be the first to post one!

Trending on Read

Available on the App Store

Available on the Play Store
Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
30929637
×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"