Add like
Add dislike
Add to saved papers

Severity and Variability of Depression Symptoms Predicting Suicide Attempt in High-Risk Individuals.

JAMA Psychiatry 2019 June 2
IMPORTANCE: Predicting suicidal behavior continues to be among the most challenging tasks in psychiatry.

OBJECTIVES: To examine the trajectories of clinical predictors of suicide attempt (specifically, depression symptoms, hopelessness, impulsivity, aggression, impulsive aggression, and irritability) for their ability to predict suicide attempt and to compute a risk score for suicide attempts.

DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS: This is a longitudinal study of the offspring of parents (or probands) with mood disorders who were recruited from inpatient units at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic (Pittsburgh) and New York State Psychiatric Institute. Participants were recruited from July 15, 1997, to September 6, 2005, and were followed up through January 21, 2014. Probands and offspring (n = 663) were interviewed at baseline and at yearly follow-ups for 12 years. Lifetime and current psychiatric disorders were assessed, and self-reported questionnaires were administered. Model evaluation used 10-fold cross-validation, which split the entire data set into 10 equal parts, fit the model to 90% of the data (training set), and assessed it on the remaining 10% (test set) and repeated that process 10 times. Preliminary analyses were performed from July 20, 2015, to October 5, 2016. Additional analyses were conducted from July 26, 2017, to July 24, 2018.

MAIN OUTCOMES AND MEASURES: The broad definition of suicide attempt included actual, interrupted, and aborted attempts as well as suicidal ideation that prompted emergency referrals during the study. The narrow definition referred to actual attempt only.

RESULTS: The sample of offspring (n = 663) was almost equally distributed by sex (316 female [47.7%]) and had a mean (SD) age of 23.8 (8.5) years at the time of censored observations. Among the 663 offspring, 71 (10.7%) had suicide attempts over the course of the study. The trajectory of depression symptoms with the highest mean scores and variability over time was the only trajectory to predict suicide attempt (odds ratio [OR], 4.72; 95% CI, 1.47-15.21; P = .01). In addition, we identified the following predictors: younger age (OR, 0.82; 95% CI, 0.74-0.90; P < .001), lifetime history of unipolar disorder (OR, 4.71; 95% CI, 1.63-13.58; P = .004), lifetime history of bipolar disorder (OR, 3.4; 95% CI, 0.96-12.04; P = .06), history of childhood abuse (OR, 2.98; 95% CI, 1.40-6.38; P = .01), and proband actual attempt (OR, 2.24; 95% CI, 1.06-4.75; P = .04). Endorsing a score of 3 or higher on the risk score tool resulted in high sensitivity (87.3%) and moderate specificity (63%; area under the curve = 0.80).

CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE: The specific predictors of suicide attempt identified are those that clinicians already assess during routine psychiatric evaluations; monitoring and treating depression symptoms to reduce their severity and fluctuation may attenuate the risk for suicidal behavior.

Full text links

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Group 7SearchHeart failure treatmentPapersTopicsCollectionsEffects of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Patients With Heart Failure Importance: Only 1 class of glucose-lowering agents-sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors-has been reported to decrease the risk of cardiovascular events primarily by reducingSeptember 1, 2017: JAMA CardiologyAssociations of albuminuria in patients with chronic heart failure: findings in the ALiskiren Observation of heart Failure Treatment study.CONCLUSIONS: Increased UACR is common in patients with heart failure, including non-diabetics. Urinary albumin creatininineJul, 2011: European Journal of Heart FailureRandomized Controlled TrialEffects of Liraglutide on Clinical Stability Among Patients With Advanced Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction: A Randomized Clinical Trial.Review

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Read by QxMD is copyright © 2021 QxMD Software Inc. All rights reserved. By using this service, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy.

You can now claim free CME credits for this literature searchClaim now

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app