Journal Article
Review
Add like
Add dislike
Add to saved papers

Button battery ingestion in children-a potentially catastrophic event of which all radiologists must be aware.

Foreign body ingestion is common in infants and young children and can cause numerous complications, mainly if ingested and left in place for prolonged periods. In recent years, particular dangers, specifically from ingested button batteries, have become increasingly recognized as a public health issue. Of particular note is the rapid onset of full thickness burns and oesophageal perforation which may occur within as little as 2 h following the ingestion of button batteries. The aim of this review is twofold: (1) to increase awareness of the need for rapid action from radiologists, emergency care physicians and paediatricians on identifying a button battery impacted within the oesophagus, and (2) to review the imaging appearances that can distinguish button batteries from other similar appearing foreign bodies, most notably coins.

Full text links

We have located links that may give you full text access.
Can't access the paper?
Try logging in through your university/institutional subscription. For a smoother one-click institutional access experience, please use our mobile app.

Related Resources

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Mobile app image

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2024 by WebMD LLC.
This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.

By using this service, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy.

Your Privacy Choices Toggle icon

You can now claim free CME credits for this literature searchClaim now

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app