Add like
Add dislike
Add to saved papers

Variations in Definitions and Outcome Measures in Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: A Systematic Review.

Pediatrics 2017 August
CONTEXT: Gastroesophageal reflux (GER) is defined as GER disease (GERD) when it leads to troublesome symptoms and/or complications. We hypothesized that definitions and outcome measures in randomized controlled trials (RCTs) on pediatric GERD would be heterogeneous.

OBJECTIVES: Systematically assess definitions and outcome measures in RCTs in this population.

DATA SOURCES: Data were obtained through Cochrane, Embase, Medline, and Pubmed databases.

STUDY SELECTION: We selected English-written therapeutic RCTs concerning GERD in children 0 to 18 years old.

DATA EXTRACTION: Data were tabulated and presented descriptively. Each individual parameter or set of parameters with unique criteria for interpretation was considered a single definition for GER(D). Quality was assessed by using the Delphi score.

RESULTS: A total of 2410 unique articles were found; 46 articles were included. Twenty-six (57%) studies defined GER by using 25 different definitions and investigated 25 different interventions. GERD was defined in 21 (46%) studies, all using a unique definition and investigating a total of 23 interventions. Respectively 87 and 61 different primary outcome measures were reported by the studies in GER and GERD. Eight (17%) studies did not report on side effects. Of the remaining 38 (83%) studies that did report on side effects, 18 (47%) included this as predefined outcome measure of which 4 (22%) as a primary outcome measure. Sixteen studies (35%) were of good methodological quality.

LIMITATIONS: Only English-written studies were included.

CONCLUSIONS: Inconsistency and heterogeneity exist in definitions and outcome measures used in RCTs on pediatric GER and GERD; therefore, we recommend the development of a core outcome set.

Full text links

We have located links that may give you full text access.
Can't access the paper?
Try logging in through your university/institutional subscription. For a smoother one-click institutional access experience, please use our mobile app.

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Group 7SearchHeart failure treatmentPapersTopicsCollectionsEffects of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Patients With Heart Failure Importance: Only 1 class of glucose-lowering agents-sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors-has been reported to decrease the risk of cardiovascular events primarily by reducingSeptember 1, 2017: JAMA CardiologyAssociations of albuminuria in patients with chronic heart failure: findings in the ALiskiren Observation of heart Failure Treatment study.CONCLUSIONS: Increased UACR is common in patients with heart failure, including non-diabetics. Urinary albumin creatininineJul, 2011: European Journal of Heart FailureRandomized Controlled TrialEffects of Liraglutide on Clinical Stability Among Patients With Advanced Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction: A Randomized Clinical Trial.Review

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Read by QxMD is copyright © 2021 QxMD Software Inc. All rights reserved. By using this service, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy.

You can now claim free CME credits for this literature searchClaim now

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app