Children inevitably swallow foreign material accidentally or intentionally. Each type of ingestion carries their own set of risks and complications, short and long term, some requiring immediate attention while others close monitoring. Alkalotic household cleaning products and lithium button batteries are increasingly common and damage the esophagus quickly. While many toys with rare-earth metals are banned, they are already present in many households and can cause necrosis of bowel that is between the magnets. This article reviews the incidence and assessment along with current literature to provide guidelines for management of pediatric patients with suspected caustic or foreign body ingestion.
Full text links
We have located links that may give you full text access.