JOURNAL ARTICLE

Percutaneous coronary intervention for ostial and bifurcation lesions using the Szabo technique: a single center experience

Benedikt Schrage, Michael Schwarzl, Christoph Waldeyer, Peter M Becher, Christoph Sinning, Ulrich Schäfer, Moritz Seiffert, Elvin Zengin-Sahm, Stefan Blankenberg, Dirk Westermann
Minerva Cardioangiologica 2017, 65 (4): 331-335
28146144

BACKGROUND: Aorto-ostial lesions as well as bifurcation lesions still provide challenges in percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), as meticulous stent placement is needed. The Szabo-technique, which uses a second wire to anchor the stent at the ostium, may be helpful here. In this article, we will provide detailed information on the technique including video material as well as procedural and long-term follow-up data of a cohort of patients treated with this technique.

METHODS: A retrospective single-centre study was performed in patients undergoing Szabo-PCI from 2014 to 2016 (N.=28).

RESULTS: Indications for PCI were elective in 53% and urgent/emergent in 47%. Target vessel was the ostial right coronary artery in 43%, the ostial left main artery in 7%, the proximal left anterior descending artery in 29% and the proximal circumflex artery in 21% of the cases. Primary success rate was 86%. In the other 14%, delivery of the stent failed due to a high-grade calcification. There were no periprocedural complications. During the follow-up time (mean 308 days) there was one case of cardiovascular and one case of non-cardiovascular death without any stroke events. In one case target lesions revascularisation was necessary.

CONCLUSIONS: The Szabo-technique offers a feasible and safe approach for PCI of ostial and bifurcation lesions. Calcified lesions seem to be a challenging aspect.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
28146144
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"