MENU ▼
Read by QxMD icon Read
search
OPEN IN READ APP
JOURNAL ARTICLE
MULTICENTER STUDY

EUS-guided choledochoduodenostomy for malignant distal biliary obstruction using a lumen-apposing fully covered metal stent after failed ERCP

Rastislav Kunda, Manuel Pérez-Miranda, Uwe Will, Sebastian Ullrich, Dirk Brenke, Markus Dollhopf, Michelle Meier, Alberto Larghi
Surgical Endoscopy 2016, 30 (11): 5002-5008
26969661

BACKGROUND: A novel lumen-apposing, self-expanding metal stent to perform EUS-guided drainage procedures has been recently developed. The aim of this study was to analyze the safety, technical and clinical effectiveness of this device for EUS-guided choledochoduodenostomy (EUS-CD) with palliative intent.

METHODS: Retrospective analysis of all consecutive patients with unresectable malignant distal bile duct obstruction who, between March 2012 and September 2014, underwent EUS-CD using the study devices (AXIOS™ and Hot AXIOS™, Xlumena Inc., Mountain View, CA, USA) after unsuccessful ERCP in seven European centers was carried out.

RESULTS: Fifty-seven patients (M/F 31/26; median age 73) underwent EUS-CD using the AXIOS™ stent or the Hot AXIOS™ delivery system. ERCP failure was due to duodenal obstruction in 41 patients (71.9 %) and to inability to cannulate the papilla in the remaining 16 patients (28.1 %). The procedure was technically successful in 56/57 patients (98.2 %), with a mean procedural time of 22.4 min (range 11-65). Clinical success was achieved in 54 of these 56 patients (96.4 %; 94.7 % of the entire cohort). Overall major procedural complication rate was 7 % (two duodenal perforations, one bleeding and one transient cholangitis). During follow-up, 5 out of 54 (9.3 %) patients with clinica success required re-intervention for stent migration in one case and a sump syndrome with transient increase in serum bilirubin concentrations with sludge in the distal duct reservoir in the remaining four patients.

CONCLUSIONS: Our study shows that EUS-CD using the AXIOS™ and the Hot AXIOS™ devices is a safe procedure, with high technical and clinical success rates.

Comments

You need to log in or sign up for an account to be able to comment.

No comments yet, be the first to post one!

Related Papers

Available on the App Store

Available on the Play Store
Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
26969661
×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"