JOURNAL ARTICLE

[Long-term outcome after cardioverter-defibrillator implantation in patients with Brugada syndrome]

Yuan Binbin, Lu Jingping, Yang Bing, Chen Minglong, Zou Jiangang, Cao Kejiang, Shan Qijun
Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing za Zhi 2015, 43 (8): 690-4
26955725

OBJECTIVE: To observe the long-term outcome of implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) implantation in Brugada syndrome patients and to explore how to reduce the frequency of ICD nappropriate schocks.

METHODS: This study included 14 symptomatic patients (mean age (44.3 ± 8.3) years old; all males) with Brugada syndrome implanted with ICD in our hospital between 1998 and 2012, and these patients were followed up routinely every 6 months. The initial ICD parameters were set according o conventional experience. The ventricular tachycardia (VT) zone was programmed to ventricular rate 150-188 bpm/cycle length (CL) 400-320 ms and the ventricular fibrillation (VF) zone was programmed to ventricular rate ≥ 188 bpm/CL ≤ 320 ms. The total events were recorded by ICD. The ICD parameters revision was made by electrophysiological (EP) experts in case of inappropriate shocks.

RESULTS: Patients were followed up for mean (43.0 ± 28.3) months. A total of 297 VF/VT events were recorded by ICD. Electrophysiological experts found that 90% (178/198) episodes were true VF ( CL 130-250 ms) among of 198 VF episodes and 147 VF episodes were terminated by one shock and 21 VF events were terminated by two or more shocks, and the rest 10 VF terminated spontaneously. Only 9% (9/99) VT events were true VT (CL 320-360 ms) among of 99 VT episodes. Eight VT episodes were converted by antitachycardia pacing therapy (ATP) and the other one terminated spontaneously. The rest 90 VT episodes (91%) were supraventricular arrhythmias (SVT, CL 340-390 ms). About 90% inappropriate shocks can be reduced by Wavelet discrimination function and optimal programming (VF zone ventricular rate ≥ 222 bpm/CL ≤ 270 ms and/or VT zone ventricular rate 167-222 bpm/CL 270-360 ms ) according to the characteristics of arrhythmia of individual patient.

CONCLUSION: ICD can effectively prevent sudden cardiac death and syncope in high-risk patients with Brugada syndrome. The most common complication is inappropriate shock due to SVT. Optimal ICD programming with Wavelet discrimination function can effectively reduce the frequency of inappropriate shock rate.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
26955725
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"