JOURNAL ARTICLE

Role and results of cortical mastoidectomy and endolymphatic sac surgery in Menière's disease

A G Kerr, J G Toner, G J McKee, G D Smyth
Journal of Laryngology and Otology 1989, 103 (12): 1161-6
2614237
It is almost impossible to establish the natural history of Menière's disease and, by the same token, it is difficult to confirm the efficacy of endolymphatic sac surgery. The authors doubt the logic of sac operations. Only two controlled trials of sac surgery have been found and both cast doubt upon its value. There do not appear to be any controlled trials indicating that it works. In 14 cases of incapacitating Menière's disease, where vestibular nerve section was indicated, cortical mastoidectomy was offered and accepted in the expectation that two-thirds might be spared the more major procedure. In the event, the vertigo was controlled in eight out of 14 (57 per cent), the remaining six (43 per cent) requiring more major surgery. A surgical model illustrates that, of themselves, these results are essentially meaningless in assessing the efficacy of cortical mastoidectomy in Menière's disease. Until all cases in a community are considered and followed-up, we shall be in doubt about the value of sac surgery and most other treatments of Menière's disease.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
2614237
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"