JOURNAL ARTICLE

Biomorphometric analysis of ilio-sacro-iliacal corridors for an intra-osseous implant to fix posterior pelvic ring fractures

Florian Gras, Sophia Hillmann, Sascha Rausch, Kajetan Klos, Gunther O Hofmann, Ivan Marintschev
Journal of Orthopaedic Research: Official Publication of the Orthopaedic Research Society 2015, 33 (2): 254-60
25408471
It is hypothesized that ilio-sacro-iliacal corridors for a new envisioned pelvic ring implant (trans-sacral nail with two iliacal bolts = ISI-nail: ilio-sacro-iliacal nail) exists on the level of S1- or S2-vertebra in each patient. The corridors of 84 healthy human pelves (42x ♂; 42x ♀, 18-85 years) were measured in high resolution CT scans using the Merlin Diagnostic Workcenter Software. Trans-sacral corridors (≥ 9 mm diameter) on the level of S1 and S2 were found in 62% and 54% of pelves with a mean length [mm ± SD] of 164 ± 12.9 and 142 ± 10.2. Corresponding iliac corridors were present in all specimens in caudally tilted axial planes of 37.8 ± 0.67° and 53.7 ± 0.94° in relation to the operating table plane and divergent angulations of 69.0 ± 0.49° and 70.1 ± 0.32° in relation to the sagittal midline plane. Sacral dysmorphism, with compensatory larger S2 corridors were prevalent in 24% of pelves; ilio-sacro-iliacal osseous corridors for the envisioned implant were found in 88% of pelves on the level of S1 or S2. In the remaining 12% with too narrow corridors for any trans-sacral implant (screws, bars, ISI nail) alternative fixation methods have to be considered. Expected advantages of the envisioned ISI nail compared to available fixation devices are discussed.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
25408471
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"