JOURNAL ARTICLE

Prognostic impact of serum CYFRA 21-1 in patients with advanced lung adenocarcinoma: a retrospective study

Akira Ono, Toshiaki Takahashi, Keita Mori, Hiroaki Akamatsu, Takehito Shukuya, Tetsuhiko Taira, Hirotsugu Kenmotsu, Tateaki Naito, Haruyasu Murakami, Takashi Nakajima, Masahiro Endo, Nobuyuki Yamamoto
BMC Cancer 2013, 13: 354
23879483

BACKGROUND: Serum CYFRA 21-1 is one of the most important serum markers in the diagnosis of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), especially squamous-cell carcinoma. However, it remains unknown whether pretreatment serum CYFRA 21-1 values (PCV) may also have prognostic implications in patients with advanced lung adenocarcinoma.

METHODS: We retrospectively reviewed the data of 284 patients (pts) who were diagnosed as having advanced lung adenocarcinoma and had received initial therapy.

RESULTS: Of the study subjects, 121 pts (43%) had activating epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) mutations (Mt+), while the remaining 163 pts (57%) had wild-type EGFR (Mt-). Univariate analysis identified gender (male/ female), ECOG performance status (PS) (0-1/ ≥2), PCV (<2.2 ng/ml/ ≥2.2 ng/ml), EGFR mutation status (Mt+/ Mt-), pretreatment serum CEA values (<5.0 ng/ml/ ≥5.0 ng/ml), smoking history (yes/ no) and EGFR-TKI treatment (yes/ no) as prognostic factors (p = .008, p < .0001, p < .0001, p < .0001, p = .036, p = .0012, p < .0001 respectively). Cox's multivariate regression analysis identified PCV < 2.2ng/ml as the only factor significantly associated with prolonged survival (p < .0001, hazard ratio: 0.43, 95% CI 0.31-0.59), after adjustments for PS (p < .0001), EGFR mutation status (p = .0069), date of start of initial therapy (p = .07), gender (p = .75), serum CEA level (p = .63), smoking history (p = .39) and EGFR-TKI treatment (p = .20). Furthermore, pts with Mt+ and PCV of <2.2 ng/ml had a more favorable prognosis than those with Mt+ and PCV of ≥2.2 ng/ml (MST: 67.0 vs. 21.0 months, p < .0001), and patients with Mt- and PCV of <2.2 ng/ml had a more favorable prognosis than those with Mt- and PCV of ≥2.2 ng/ml (MST: 24.1 vs. 10.2 months, p < .0001).

CONCLUSION: PCV may be a potential independent prognostic factor in both Mt+ and Mt- patients with advanced lung adenocarcinoma.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
23879483
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"