JOURNAL ARTICLE
Add like
Add dislike
Add to saved papers

Clinical outcomes of surgically corrected atrial septal defects.

OBJECTIVE: To examine the outcomes of surgical repair of atrial septal defects in paediatric and adult patients.

METHODS: The retrospective study comprised data of 84 patients who had undergone surgical correction of atrial septal defect at the Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi, between June 2006 and December 2011. All patients with isolated atrial septal defect (ostium secundum, ostium primum and sinus venosus with or without partial anomalous pulmonary venous connection) were included. Clinical and transthoracic echocardiographic data was reviewed. SPSS 17 was used for statistical analysis.

RESULTS: There were no deaths in the study population. The mean time for follow-up was 6.5 +/- 9.9 months. Most of the patients (n = 80; 95.2%) were in NewYork Heart Association class I at follow-up, while the remaining 4 (4.8%) were in New York Heart Association class II. Post-operatively, 8 (9.5%) patients developed brief episodes of arrhythmias. There were 3 (3.57%) patients who were re-admitted within 30 days; 2 (66.7%) had superficial wound infection, while 1 (33.3%) had to be re-opened because of cardiac tamponade.

CONCLUSION: Surgical repair of atrial septal defects is a safe procedure which is associated with excellent results and low morbidity.

Full text links

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Group 7SearchHeart failure treatmentPapersTopicsCollectionsEffects of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Patients With Heart Failure Importance: Only 1 class of glucose-lowering agents-sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors-has been reported to decrease the risk of cardiovascular events primarily by reducingSeptember 1, 2017: JAMA CardiologyAssociations of albuminuria in patients with chronic heart failure: findings in the ALiskiren Observation of heart Failure Treatment study.CONCLUSIONS: Increased UACR is common in patients with heart failure, including non-diabetics. Urinary albumin creatininineJul, 2011: European Journal of Heart FailureRandomized Controlled TrialEffects of Liraglutide on Clinical Stability Among Patients With Advanced Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction: A Randomized Clinical Trial.Review

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Read by QxMD is copyright © 2021 QxMD Software Inc. All rights reserved. By using this service, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy.

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app