COMPARATIVE STUDY
JOURNAL ARTICLE

Single-agent chemotherapy compared with combination chemotherapy as second-line treatment in extensive-stage small cell lung cancer: a retrospective analysis

Z Song, L Shao, B Lin, Y Zhang
Clinical & Translational Oncology 2013, 15 (10): 843-8
23423808

OBJECTIVE: This retrospective analysis evaluates the clinical outcomes of extensive-stage small cell lung cancer (SCLC) patients who received second-line chemotherapy after platinum-based first-line chemotherapy, especially focusing on efficacy and toxicity between single-agent and combination chemotherapy.

METHODS: We retrospectively reviewed 193 patients who received second-line chemotherapy for extensive-stage SCLC. Patients relapsing or progressing beyond 90 days were defined as sensitive recurrence patients, and below 90 days as refractory recurrence patients. Survival curves were plotted using the Kaplan-Meier method. The Cox proportional hazard model was used for multivariate analysis.

RESULTS: 138 patients received combination chemotherapy and 55 received single-agent treatment. The objective response rate (ORR) was 25.4 % in the combination group and 9.1 % in the single-agent group (p = 0.012). The disease control rate (DCR) was 65.2 and 34.5 %, respectively, (p < 0.001). The progression-free survival (PFS) was 3.80 months in the combination group and 2.13 months in the single-agent group (p = 0.001). In the sensitive recurrence group, the median PFS was 3.80 months in combination group and 3.23 months in single-agent group (p = 0.092). In the refractory recurrence group, the median PFS was 2.83 and 1.30 months, respectively (p = 0.001). The grade III/IV toxicity in single-agent group is much lower than the combination group (56.4 vs. 74.6 %, p = 0.013).

CONCLUSION: Our retrospective data suggest a potential role of prolonging the PFS for combination treatment in extensive-stage SCLC second-line treatment, especially for the refractory recurrence patients, but with more toxicity as compared to single-agent.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
23423808
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"