COMPARATIVE STUDY
JOURNAL ARTICLE

A population-based study comparing biosimilar versus originator erythropoiesis-stimulating agent consumption in 6,117 patients with renal anaemia

Franziska Hörbrand, Peter Bramlage, Johann Fischaleck, Joerg Hasford, Reinhard Brunkhorst
European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2013, 69 (4): 929-36
23052412

AIMS: There are concerns that biosimilar erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs) are less effective than the originator ESAs. The objective of our study was to investigate differences between originator and biosimilar ESA utilisation based on defined daily doses (DDD), doses upon switching, differences between short- and long-acting ESAs and prescribed daily doses (PDD) of either ESA in ambulatory patients with renal anaemia undergoing chronic maintenance haemodialysis [chronic kidney disease (CKD) stage 5].

METHODS: Patients with CKD stage 5 and specific pharmacotherapy with ESAs for at least six 3-month periods (accounting quarters) were selected from a population-based database of accounting information of Bavarian physicians and pharmacy claims data (January 2008 to December 2010). The DDD was used to determine mean ESA consumption. Descriptive statistics were used to describe the results.

RESULTS: In our study, 6,177 CKD stage 5 patients received ESAs for ≥6 accounting quarters, of whom 64.4 % received originator ESAs, 21.1 % received biosimilars and 14.6 % received any sequence originator and biosimilar (total of 35.7 % any biosimilar). Patients receiving either originator short-acting ESAs, long-acting darbepoetin-alfa or M-PEG epoetin-beta had a median DDD consumption of 0.77, 0.81 and 0.90, respectively. Patients receiving a biosimilar short-acting ESA had a median DDD consumption of 0.82. Doses were not increased when the therapy was switched from the originator to the biosimilar ESA. These results were confirmed in 1,886 patients receiving a continuous prescription over 12 accounting quarters, with patients receiving short-acting originator ESAs, long-acting darbepoetin-alfa and biosimilar ESAs having a median daily DDD consumption of 0.80, 0.86 and 0.81, respectively.

CONCLUSIONS: We conclude that, based on a population based analysis, ESA consumption of patients on chronic haemodialysis is similar for biosimilar and originator ESAs.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
23052412
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"