Your institution is subscribed to Read Institutional Edition. Log in or Sign Up to read full text articles.

COMPARATIVE STUDY
JOURNAL ARTICLE

Comparison of results and economic analysis of surgical and transcatheter closure of perimembranous ventricular septal defect

Suxuan Liu, Feng Chen, Xueyan Ding, Zhenzhen Zhao, Wen Ke, Yan Yan, Xianxian Zhao, Yongwen Qin
European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery 2012, 42 (6): e157-62
23024232

OBJECTIVES: The last decade has witnessed considerable improvement in design and implantation techniques for the percutaneous closure of perimembranous ventricular septal defects. This study was undertaken to compare the results and economic analysis of traditional surgery and percutaneous closure with a modified double-disk occluder during hospitalization.

METHODS: A total of 345 consecutive patients who underwent isolated perimembranous ventricular septal defect closure were identified between July 2009 and July 2011 in our institution. A total of 157 patients with perimembranous ventricular septal defect (45.5%) underwent percutaneous closure and the remaining 188 patients (54.5%) were treated surgically.

RESULTS: In the percutaneous closure group, 156 patients (99.4%) had immediate complete closure and 186 (98.9%) in the surgical group were treated successfully (P = 0.671). The surgical group was significantly younger (P = 0.000) and larger in size (P = 0.000). One case of irreversible complete atrioventricular block and one death occurred in the surgical group. There was no significant difference in terms of hospital stay between the two groups. The total medical cost in the percutaneous closure group was lower compared with that in the surgical group (P = 0.005). Charges for medication, bed occupancy and nursing care of patients undergoing surgical closure were greater than those for patients undergoing transcatheter closure (P = 0.000, P = 0.000, P = 0.000, respectively). None of the patients in the percutaneous closure group required blood transfusion during hospitalization. Charges for radiography, lab and ultrasound in the percutaneous closure group were higher compared with those in the surgical group (P = 0.000, P = 0.000, respectively).

CONCLUSIONS: Compared with surgical repair at our institution, the superior clinical outcomes and economic benefits of percutaneous closure are inspiring. Percutaneous closure is a valuable alternative to surgery and allows more patients to be effectively treated in China.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
23024232
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"

We want to hear from doctors like you!

Take a second to answer a survey question.