JOURNAL ARTICLE

Absolute lymphocyte count at day + 21 predicts survival in patients with early-stage diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated with rituximab, cyclophosphamide, adriamycin, vincristine and prednisone

Yee Soo Chae, Hocheol Shin, Sang Kyun Sohn, Soo Jung Lee, Joon Ho Moon, Byung Woog Kang, Jong Gwang Kim, Deok-Hwan Yang, Je-Jung Lee, Tae In Park
Leukemia & Lymphoma 2012, 53 (9): 1757-63
22372848
As lymphocytes play an active role in tumor control and as targets for immunochemotherapy, the prognostic significance of the absolute lymphocyte count (ALC) and its changes after rituximab, cyclophosphamide, adriamycin, vincristine and prednisone (R-CHOP) were investigated in patients with early-stage diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL). The ALC was measured just before and on day + 21 after R-CHOP in 230 consecutive patients with stage I and II DLBCL. During the median follow-up of 31.8 (range, 1.8-70.0) months, 200 patients (89.7%) achieved a complete response (CR) and 20 achieved a partial response (PR) (9.0%), representing an overall response rate of 98.7% among 223 evaluable patients. Analyzed according to various ALCs, only an ALC ≥ 1.3 × 10(9)/L at day + 21 predicted longer progression-free (PFS) and overall survival (OS) in a univariate analysis (p < 0.001 and p = 0.001, respectively) as well as a higher CR rate adjusted to the revised International Prognostic Index (R-IPI) (odds ratio = 2.824; p = 0.031). Moreover, a multivariate analysis revealed that a high ALC at day + 21 predicted a better time to progression (TTP) (HR = 0.335; p = 0.006), PFS (HR = 0.332; p < 0.001) and OS (HR = 0.309; p = 0.002), independent of the R-IPI. In conclusion, the ALC after R-CHOP can be regarded as a prognostic marker in patients with early-stage DLBCL.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
22372848
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"