JOURNAL ARTICLE

The epidemiology of pediatric burns undergoing intensive care in Burn Centre Brno, Czech Republic, 1997-2009

B Lipový, P Brychta, N Gregorová, Z Jelínková, H Rihová, I Suchánek, Y Kaloudová, R Mager, H Krupicová, A Martincová
Burns 2012, 38 (5): 776-82
22356816

UNLABELLED: The aim of this study was to determine the basic epidemiological characteristics of severely burned children who were admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU), Department of Burns and Reconstructive Surgery Faculty Hospital Brno, Czech Republic in the years 1997-2009.

METHODS: We collected and evaluated epidemiological data such as age, sex, burn etiology, length of hospitalization, duration of the ICU stay, surgical or conservative therapeutic strategies, the use of mechanical ventilation and its duration, day and month of injury and the extent of burned area.

RESULTS: In total 383 children (253 boys, 130 girls) aged 0-14 years, underwent intensive care for at least 48h. Male to female ratio was 1.95:1. The average range of burn area in the group was 16.43±12.86% TBSA (total body surface area). During the reporting period, 16 children were admitted with burns over 50% TBSA. 328 children suffered burns indoors, with 55 children being burned outdoors. Indoor/outdoor ratio was set at 5.96:1. The most frequent etiological agent was scalding (hot water, soup, coffee, oil, tea). The total number of scalded children in this group was 312 (81.46%). Mechanical ventilation was used in 96 cases (25.07% of all the admitted patients). The duration of mechanical ventilation in these patients was 8.03±5.67 days in average. The average length of stay in ICU was 10.71±10.92 days and total length of hospital stay was an average of 21.55±14.55 days. A total of 184 patients (48.04%) were treated surgically and therefore required necrectomy and skin grafting. The other 199 (51.96%) patients were treated conservatively. During the reporting period 3 children died (0.78%).

CONCLUSION: In our report we identify basic epidemiological data defined in the aim of this study for burned children requiring intensive care.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
22356816
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"