JOURNAL ARTICLE

Vagoglossopharyngeal neuralgia treated by microvascular decompression and glossopharyngeal rhizotomy: clinical results of 21 cases

Nan-Xiang Xiong, Hong-Yang Zhao, Fang-Cheng Zhang, Ru-En Liu
Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery 2012, 90 (1): 45-50
22249175

BACKGROUND: Microvascular decompression (MVD) and rhizotomy are all selected for treating vagoglossopharyngeal neuralgia (VGPN). Nonetheless, controversies still exist about their curative effect on VGPN. Here we evaluate the effectiveness of MVD together with rhizotomy of the glossopharyngeal nerve for the treatment of VGPN.

METHODS: This study was carried out on 21 patients who were diagnosed with VGPN between the years 2005 and 2010. Patients underwent MVD and glossopharyngeal rhizotomy through a retromastoid keyhole approach. Surgical technique, operation results and complications were our particular concern.

RESULTS: Eighteen (85.7%) of 21 patients experienced immediate and complete relief of pain after surgery. In the remaining 3 patients (14.3%), the pain faded away within the following week. No patient complained of dysphonia or dysphagia. All 21 patients reported no change in their outcome at follow-up.

CONCLUSIONS: Intracranial vagoglossopharyngeal nerve MVD with glossopharyngeal rhizotomy is an effective and safe procedure to treat VGPN.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
22249175
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"