JOURNAL ARTICLE

Age-specific differences in outcomes after out-of-hospital cardiac arrests

Masahiko Nitta, Taku Iwami, Tetsuhisa Kitamura, Vinay M Nadkarni, Robert A Berg, Naoki Shimizu, Kunio Ohta, Tatsuya Nishiuchi, Yasuyuki Hayashi, Atsushi Hiraide, Hiroshi Tamai, Masanao Kobayashi, Hiroshi Morita
Pediatrics 2011, 128 (4): e812-20
21890823

OBJECTIVE: We assessed out-of-hospital cardiac arrests (OHCAs) for various pediatric age groups.

METHODS: This prospective, population-based, observational study included all emergency medical service-treated OHCAs in Osaka, Japan, between 1999 and 2006 (excluding 2004). Patients were grouped as adults (>17 years), infants (<1 year), younger children (1-4 years), older children (5-12 years), and adolescents (13-17 years). The primary outcome measure was 1-month survival with favorable neurologic outcome.

RESULTS: Of 950 pediatric OHCAs, resuscitations were attempted for 875 patients (92%; 347 infants, 203 younger children, 135 older children, and 190 adolescents). The overall incidence of nontraumatic pediatric OHCAs was 7.3 cases per 100 000 person-years, compared with 64.7 cases per 100 000 person-years for adults and 65.5 cases per 100 000 person-years for infants. Most infant OHCAs occurred in homes (93%) and were not witnessed (90%). Adolescent OHCAs often occurred outside the home (45%), were witnessed by bystanders (37%), and had shockable rhythms (18%). One-month survival was more common after nontraumatic pediatric OHCAs than adult OHCAs (8% [56 of 740 patients] vs 5% [1677 of 33 091 patients]; adjusted odds ratio: 2.26 [95% confidence interval: 1.63-3.13]). One-month survival with favorable neurologic outcome was more common among children than adults (3% [21 of 740 patients] vs 2% [648 of 33 091 patients]; adjusted odds ratio: 2.46 [95% confidence interval: 1.45-4.18]). Rates of 1-month survival with favorable neurologic outcome were 1% for infants, 2% for younger children, 2% for older children, and 11% for adolescents.

CONCLUSION: Survival and favorable neurologic outcome at 1 month were more common after pediatric OHCAs than adult OHCAs.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
21890823
×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"