Phase II trial of cisplatin, gemcitabine, and bevacizumab as first-line therapy for metastatic urothelial carcinoma: Hoosier Oncology Group GU 04-75

Noah M Hahn, Walter M Stadler, Robin T Zon, David Waterhouse, Joel Picus, Sreenivasa Nattam, Cynthia S Johnson, Susan M Perkins, Mary Jane Waddell, Christopher J Sweeney
Journal of Clinical Oncology 2011 April 20, 29 (12): 1525-30

PURPOSE: Novel approaches are needed for patients with metastatic urothelial cancer (UC). This trial assessed the efficacy and toxicity of bevacizumab in combination with cisplatin and gemcitabine (CGB) as first-line treatment for patients with metastatic UC.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: Chemotherapy-naive patients with metastatic or unresectable UC received cisplatin 70 mg/m(2) on day 1, gemcitabine 1,000 to 1,250 mg/m(2) on days 1 and 8, and bevacizumab 15 mg/kg on day 1, every 21 days.

RESULTS: Forty-three patients with performance status of 0 (n = 26) or 1 (n = 17) and median age of 66 years were evaluable for toxicity and response. Grade 3 to 4 hematologic toxicity included neutropenia (35%), thrombocytopenia (12%), anemia (12%), and neutropenic fever (2%). Grade 3 to 5 nonhematologic toxicity included deep vein thrombosis/pulmonary embolism (21%), hemorrhage (7%), cardiac (7%), hypertension (5%), and proteinuria (2%). Three treatment-related deaths (CNS hemorrhage, sudden cardiac death, and aortic dissection) were observed. Best response by Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors was complete response in eight patients (19%) and partial response in 23 patients (53%), for an overall response rate of 72%. Stable disease lasting ≥ 12 weeks occurred in four patients (9%), and progressive disease occurred in six patients (14%). With a median follow-up of 27.2 months (range, 3.5 to 40.9 months), median progression-free survival (PFS) was 8.2 months (95% CI, 6.8 to 10.3 months) with a median overall survival (OS) time of 19.1 months (95% CI, 12.4 to 22.7 months). The study-defined goal of 50% improvement in PFS was not met.

CONCLUSION: CGB demonstrates promising OS and antiangiogenic treatment-related toxicities in the phase II setting of metastatic UC. The full risk/benefit profile of CGB in patients with metastatic UC will be determined by an ongoing phase III intergroup trial.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article


You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.


Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"