COMPARATIVE STUDY
JOURNAL ARTICLE

Role of short-term antibiotic therapy at the moment of catheter removal after laparoscopic radical prostatectomy

Rodrigo Pinochet, Lucas Nogueira, Angel M Cronin, Darren Katz, Farhang Rabbani, Bertrand Guillonneau, Karim Touijer
Urologia Internationalis 2010, 85 (4): 415-20
21099192

OBJECTIVE: To assess the role of short-term antibiotic therapy (ABT) in preventing urinary tract infection (UTI) after catheter removal following laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (LRP).

METHODS: 729 consecutive patients underwent LRP by one of two surgeons. One surgeon systematically prescribed a 3-day course of ABT (ciprofloxacin) starting the day before catheter removal; the other surgeon did not. The groups were compared for the incidence of symptomatic UTI occurring within 6 weeks after catheter removal.

RESULTS: ABT was given to 261 of 713 patients (37%), while the remaining 452 patients (63%) did not receive ABT. After catheter removal, UTI was observed less frequently among patients receiving ABT: 3.1 vs. 7.3% in those not receiving ABT (p = 0.019). A number needed to treat to prevent 1 UTI is 24. Hospital readmission for febrile UTI was observed only in patients who did not receive ABT (n = 5, 1.1 vs. 0%, p = 0.16). One would need to prescribe ABT for 91 LRP patients to prevent 1 case of febrile UTI.

CONCLUSIONS: ABT at the time of catheter removal reduced the risk of postoperative UTI after LRP. One would need to prescribe ABT to 24 patients to prevent 1 case of UTI.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
21099192
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"