JOURNAL ARTICLE

Use of fimH single-nucleotide polymorphisms for strain typing of clinical isolates of Escherichia coli for epidemiologic investigation

Rubens C S Dias, Beatriz M Moreira, Lee W Riley
Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2010, 48 (2): 483-8
20018817
Strain typing methods that compare electrophoresis banding patterns are commonly used but are difficult to standardize and poorly portable. Multilocus sequence typing (MLST) is a sequence-based alternative, but it is not practical for large-scale epidemiological studies. In the present study, the usefulness of fimH single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) for Escherichia coli typing was explored. fimH SNPs were determined for 345 E. coli clinical isolates (including 3 reference strains) and compared to PCR-based ECOR (E. coli reference collection) phylogrouping. The fimH gene could be amplified for 316 (92%) of the 345 isolates. fimH SNP analysis found 46 distinct terminal groups in the nucleotide sequence-based phylogenetic tree (fimH types). A subset of the E. coli isolates (162 clinical isolates and the 3 reference strains) were compared by fimH type, PCR phylogroup, and MLST. These isolates fell into 27 fimH types and 18 MLST clonal complexes (CCs) that contained 2 to 28 isolates per complex. The combination of PCR phylogroup and fimH type corresponded to a single CC for 113 (68%) isolates and 2 or 3 CCs for the other 52 (32%) isolates. We propose that the combination of PCR phylogrouping and fimH SNP analysis may be a useful method to type a large collection of clinical E. coli isolates for epidemiologic studies.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
20018817
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"