Journal Article
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
Add like
Add dislike
Add to saved papers

Perceived participation in life situations in persons with late effects of polio.

OBJECTIVE: To investigate how persons with late effects of polio perceive their participation and problems with participation in life situations and to determine the association between perceived problems with participation and sex, age, marital status, use of mobility aids and access to instrumental support.

DESIGN: Cross-sectional.

SUBJECTS: A total of 160 persons with prior polio 6-30 months after an individualized, goal-oriented, comprehensive interdisciplinary rehabilitation programme.

METHODS: All subjects answered the Swedish version of the Impact on Participation and Autonomy Questionnaire.

RESULTS: A majority of the respondents perceived their participation as sufficient in most activities and 65% of the respondents perceived no severe problems with participation. The remaining 35% perceived 1-6 severe problems with participation. All 5 domains of participation were positively correlated with the 9 items for problem experience. Most restrictions in participation were reported in the domains of Family role, Autonomy outdoors, and Work and education. Insufficient instrumental support was most strongly associated with the perception of severe problems with participation.

CONCLUSION: Rehabilitation programmes for persons with late effects of polio need to focus on areas of participation that are perceived as a problem by these persons and to promote access to a supportive environment to enhance their participation.

Full text links

We have located links that may give you full text access.
Can't access the paper?
Try logging in through your university/institutional subscription. For a smoother one-click institutional access experience, please use our mobile app.

Related Resources

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Mobile app image

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

All material on this website is protected by copyright, Copyright © 1994-2024 by WebMD LLC.
This website also contains material copyrighted by 3rd parties.

By using this service, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy.

Your Privacy Choices Toggle icon

You can now claim free CME credits for this literature searchClaim now

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app