JOURNAL ARTICLE

Percutaneous fluoroscopically guided placement of peritoneal dialysis catheters—a 10-year experience

Emma C Vaux, Peter H Torrie, Lindsey C Barker, Ramesh B Naik, Matthew R Gibson
Seminars in Dialysis 2008, 21 (5): 459-65
18764797
Peritoneal dialysis (PD) catheters maybe inserted surgically or percutaneously. Since 1997, 209 patients in our unit have had a PD catheter inserted percutaneously with fluoroscopic guidance. Data on all these PD catheters were collected prospectively on a PROTON computer database. 5/209 (2.4%) insertion attempts were abandoned. 204 catheters were successfully placed giving an initial technical success of 97.6%. 200/204 catheters were used for dialysis. 13/200 (6.5%) catheters developed early exit site infections; 12/13 were successfully treated and dialysis proceeded uneventfully. 3/200 (1.5%) catheters developed early peritonitis; 1/3 was removed as antibiotic treatment was unsuccessful. 10/200 (5%) catheters developed an early leak; 2/10 did not resolve with conservative therapy and were removed. 14/200 (7%) catheters did not allow sufficient fluid entry for PD; all 14 had migrated out of the pelvis and were removed. In total, 18/200 (9%) catheters were removed in the first 2 months due to these early complications. The remaining 182/200 (91%) were fully functional for PD. Technical survival (excluding patient death with a functioning catheter and successful kidney transplantation) at 1, 2, and 5 years was 77%, 61%, and 31%, respectively. Our 10 year experience of PD catheters inserted percutaneously with fluoroscopic guidance demonstrates a high technical success and a low complication rate. The data presented may be used as the standard for this technique.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
18764797
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"