JOURNAL ARTICLE

The presence of anti-centromere antibodies may predict progression of estimated pulmonary arterial systolic pressure in systemic sclerosis

C Kampolis, Sc Plastiras, Pg Vlachoyiannopoulos, I Moyssakis, Ge Tzelepis
Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology 2008, 37 (4): 278-83
18612928

OBJECTIVE: To define the risk factors associated with a relatively rapid increase in estimated pulmonary arterial systolic pressure (PASP) in patients with systemic sclerosis (SSc).

METHODS: SSc patients undergoing screening for pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) by echocardiography were identified and their charts were retrospectively reviewed. In all patients, we recorded PASP, pulmonary function, and clinical and laboratory data. PAH was defined as an estimated PASP> or =40 mmHg. In each patient, the PASP values with their corresponding time intervals were fitted to a linear function and the slope of the line was calculated.

RESULTS: Seventy-one patients with at least two echocardiographic studies each were analysed. In 16 (23%) patients, the rate of PASP progression was > or =2.5 mmHg/year whereas in the remaining 55 (77%) patients the rate of progression was <2.5 mmHg/year. In multiple logistic regression analysis, anti-centromere antibodies (ACA) (OR 8.75, CI 1.12-68.38, p = 0.039) and age > or =50 years at diagnosis (OR 8.76, CI 1.28-60.14, p = 0.027) were independently associated with a rise of PASP by > or =2.5 mmHg/year. Baseline forced vital capacity (FVC) <70% (predicted), Raynaud's duration preceding skin manifestations by > or =5 years, and fibrosis on lung computed tomography (CT) were not associated with a rapid rise of PASP (p>0.05).

CONCLUSIONS: Old age at diagnosis and ACA are associated with a relatively rapid rise of PASP estimated by echocardiography in SSc. Screening for PAH in these patients may, if followed by right heart catheterization, detect PAH at an earlier stage and guide therapeutic decisions.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
18612928
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"