JOURNAL ARTICLE

Intratympanic gentamicin therapy for intractable Ménière's disease

Lieke De Beer, Robert Stokroos, Herman Kingma
Acta Oto-laryngologica 2007, 127 (6): 605-12
17503229

CONCLUSIONS: Intratympanic gentamicin treatment using a low dose of gentamicin (approximately 21-24 mg per injection) applied at intervals of a minimum of 27 days, has been shown to be a successful treatment of vertigo.

OBJECTIVES: The objective of this analysis was to evaluate the efficacy and side effects of intratympanic injections of gentamicin as treatment of intractable unilateral Ménière's disease.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: This was a retrospective study in which 57 patients treated with intratympanic gentamicin for Ménière's disease were analysed. Patients received between 1 and 10 intratympanic injections of gentamicin in an outpatient setting.

RESULTS: Six months after treatment, overall complete or substantial vertigo control was reported by 80.7% of our patients (VCC class A, 61.4%; class B, 19.3%). Unilateral caloric weakness increased from 50.1% to 79.8% after treatment, and complete caloric areflexia (30 degrees C and 44 degrees C) was induced in 38.6%. In this study hearing worsened (> 10 dB = SNHL) in only 15.8% of our patients (range 10-29 dB) and loss of word recognition (WR) scores worsened (>15%) in 31% of the patients. Only 1 injection was necessary in 49.1% of the patients, the remaining 50.9% needed 2, 3, 4, 6 or 10 injections, always with a time interval of a minimum of 27 days.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
17503229
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"