OPEN IN READ APP
LETTER

Chemokine receptor 5 (CCR5) deletion polymorphism in North Indian patients with coronary artery disease

S Sharda, A Gilmour, V Harris, V P Singh, N Sinha, S Tewari, V Ramesh, S Agrawal, S Mastana
International Journal of Cardiology 2008 February 29, 124 (2): 254-8
17383752

BACKGROUND: Polymorphisms in genes coding for chemokine receptors, CCR2 and CCR5 have been studied as genetic markers of coronary artery disease (CAD). V64Ile polymorphism in CCR2 has been implicated in the manifestation of myocardial infarction in different populations, but data on association of the CCR5 deletion variant in etiology of CAD are conflicting. In the present study we tested genetic association between CCR5 Delta32 polymorphism and CAD among North Indians (Uttar Pradesh).

METHODS: Two hundred angiographically proven patients with coronary artery disease and two hundred age, sex and ethnically matched controls were genotyped for CCR5 Delta32 polymorphism by polymerase chain reaction. Genotype/allele frequencies were compared in patients and controls using the chi-square test.

RESULTS: The frequency of the heterozygote genotype in the population, including both patient and control group, was 3% and the frequency of the mutant allele Delta32 was 1.5%. CAD patients had a three times higher (4.6% vs. 1.5%) frequency of heterozygote genotype but the differences were statistically not significant. Association analysis did not achieve statistical significance, though odds ratio of 3.13 was observed for heterozygote genotype.

CONCLUSIONS: The allele frequency of the CCR5 Delta32 polymorphism in CAD patients is 2.25% and 0.75% among controls but the differences were not significant. Overall this fits well with the pattern of CCR5 Delta32 allele frequency in Indian subcontinent where it varies from 1 to 3%. The heterozygote (+/ Delta32) genotype does not seem to have any protective role against development of CAD in this population. In fact, North Indian CAD had a higher frequency of CCR5 Delta32 allele suggesting a possible susceptibility trend (odds ratio 3.08, CI 0.83-11.46, chi-square 2.167, NS).

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Available on the App Store

Available on the Play Store
Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
17383752
×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"