JOURNAL ARTICLE
RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIAL

Aldosterone breakthrough during therapy with angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor blockers in proteinuric patients with immunoglobulin A nephropathy

Yoshio Horita, Kouichi Taura, Takashi Taguchi, Akira Furusu, Shigeru Kohno
Nephrology 2006, 11 (5): 462-6
17014562

BACKGROUND: We are investigating whether aldosterone breakthrough negatively impacts on the antiproteinuric effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors and/or angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARB).

METHODS: We examine the role of aldosterone breakthrough in 43 normotensive, proteinuric (0.7 +/- 0.3 g/day) outpatients (aged 41.5 +/- 10.9 years) with immunoglobulin A nephropathy (IgAN) accompanied by stable renal function (creatinine clearance >50 mL/min). The patients were treated with temocapril (1 mg; n = 14), losartan (12.5 mg; n = 16), or a combination therapy (n = 13) for 12 months. We prospectively evaluated blood pressure (BP), urinary protein excretion (UPE), biochemical parameters and the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system before and after 12 months of treatment.

RESULTS: Although the overall plasma aldosterone concentrations values did not change after any of the treatments administered for 12 months, they eventually increased in 23 (temocapril, seven patients; losartan, eight patients; combination, seven patients) of the 43 patients (53.4%; aldosterone breakthrough), and fell in the remainder (46.6%). Blood pressure and renal function did not differ among the three groups at 12 months. In contrast, UPE was significantly higher in patients with, than without aldosterone breakthrough during temocapril and losartan administration. However, combination therapy induced a more remarkable reduction in UPE regardless of aldosterone breakthrough.

CONCLUSIONS: A combination of ACE inhibitors and ARB in normotensive patients with IgAN produces a more profound decrease in proteinuria than either monotherapy. This additive antiproteinuric effect is not dependent on aldosterone breakthrough. Additional larger, prospective, randomized studies will be needed for general acceptance of this strategy.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
17014562
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"