JOURNAL ARTICLE

[The current prevalence status of body overweight and obesity in China: data from the China National Nutrition and Health Survey]

Yang-feng Wu, Guan-sheng Ma, Yong-hua Hu, Yan-ping Li, Xian Li, Zhao-hui Cui, Chun-ming Chen, Ling-zhi Kong
Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue za Zhi [Chinese Journal of Preventive Medicine] 2005, 39 (5): 316-20
16266540

OBJECTIVE: To study on the prevalence of body overweight and obesity in China and its distribution in age, sex and economic development status.

METHODS: A total of 209,849 in all ages from the 2002 China National Nutrition and Health Survey (NNAHS) database were analyzed. The year 2000 population census data was used for age standardization. 1978 WHO criteria using Z scores was applied to age 0-7 years, criteria recommended by the Working Group on Obesity in China was applied to those aged 7-17 years and criteria in the Guidelines for Prevention and Control of Overweight and Obesity in Chinese Adults was applied to those aged 18 years and above.

RESULTS: The overall prevalence was 17.6% for overweight and 5.6% for obesity. The combined prevalence of overweight and obesity was 23.2%. The prevalence of overweight was 25.0%, 21.6%, 17.4%, 15.1%, 19.2% and 12.8%, respectively for large city, middle-and-small city, class 1 rural, class 2 rural, class 3 rural and class 4 rural. For obesity, the rate was 10.6%, 7.2%, 6.4%, 4.3%, 6.0% and 2.7%, respectively for large city, middle-and-small city, class 1 rural, class 2 rural, class 3 rural and class 4 rural. By age groups, the prevalence of overweight was 3.4% in children age 0-6, 4.5% in adolescents age 7-17, 22.8% in adults age 18 and above; the prevalence of obesity was 2.0% in children age 0-6, 2.7% in adolescents age 7-17, 7.1% in adults age 18 and above. The sex difference in overweight and obesity differed between urban and rural, and among age groups.

CONCLUSION: Overweight and obesity should have affected nearly 1 quarter of the country's total population, and became a threatening hazard to resident's health. As the urbanization progress, obesity might doubly increase. Prevention and control of this hazard should be urgently needed.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
16266540
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"