JOURNAL ARTICLE

Surgical treatment of malrotation after infancy: a population-based study

Marcus M Malek, Randall S Burd
Journal of Pediatric Surgery 2005, 40 (1): 285-9
15868599

PURPOSE: Because malrotation most commonly presents in infants, treatment recommendations for older children (>1 year) have been based on data obtained from small case series. The purpose of this study was to use a large national database to determine the clinical significance of older children presenting with malrotation to develop treatment recommendations for this group.

METHODS: Records of children undergoing a Ladd's procedure were identified in the Kids' Inpatient Database, an administrative database that contains all pediatric discharges from 27 states during 2000. Patient characteristics, associated diagnoses, operations performed, and mortality were evaluated. Discharge weighting was used to obtain a national estimate of the number of children older than 1 year treated for malrotation.

RESULTS: Two hundred nineteen older children (>1 and <18 years) undergoing a Ladd's procedure were identified in the database. One hundred sixty-four (75%) of these patients were admitted for treatment of malrotation, whereas most of the remaining 55 patients (25%) were admitted for another diagnosis and underwent a Ladd's procedure incidental to another abdominal operation. Seventy-five patients underwent a Ladd's procedure during an emergency admission. Thirty-one patients had volvulus or intestinal ischemia, 7 underwent intestinal resection, and 1 patient died. Based on case weightings, it was estimated that 362 older children underwent a Ladd's procedure for symptoms related to malrotation in 2000 in the United States (5.3 cases per million population).

CONCLUSIONS: These findings provide support for performing a Ladd's procedure in older children with incidentally found malrotation to prevent the rare but potentially devastating complications of this anomaly.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Related Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
15868599
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"