Add like
Add dislike
Add to saved papers

Surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy in patients with cutaneous head and neck squamous cell carcinoma metastatic to lymph nodes: combined treatment should be considered best practice.

Laryngoscope 2005 May
OBJECTIVE: Patients with cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) may develop metastatic SCC to nodes in the head and neck. Recent data support best outcome with the addition of adjuvant radiotherapy. This study aims to present further supportive evidence.

STUDY DESIGN: Retrospective chart review.

METHODS: Patients were identified with metastatic cutaneous SCC to nodes of the head and neck treated with surgery or surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy. Relapse and outcome were analyzed using Cox regression analysis. Disease-free survival and overall survival rates were calculated using Kaplan-Meier survival curves.

RESULTS: Between 1980 to 2000, 167 patients were treated with curative intent at Westmead Hospital, Sydney. Median age was 67 years (range, 34-95) in 143 men and 24 women with a minimum follow-up of 24 months. Patients underwent surgery (21/167; 13%), or surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy (146/167; 87%). The majority (98/167; 59%) of metastatic nodes were located in the parotid and/or cervical nodes. The remaining 69 (41%) had metastatic cervical nodes (levels I-V). Forty-seven patients (28%) had recurrences, with the majority (35/47; 74%) as locoregional failures. On multivariate analysis, spread to multiple nodes and single-modality treatment significantly predicted worse survival. Patients undergoing combined treatment had a lower rate of locoregional recurrence (20% vs. 43%) and a significantly better 5-year disease-free survival rate (73% vs. 54%; P = .004) compared to surgery alone.

CONCLUSIONS: In patients with metastatic cutaneous head and neck SCC, surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy provide the best chance of achieving locoregional control and should be considered best practice.

Full text links

We have located links that may give you full text access.
Can't access the paper?
Try logging in through your university/institutional subscription. For a smoother one-click institutional access experience, please use our mobile app.

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Group 7SearchHeart failure treatmentPapersTopicsCollectionsEffects of Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Patients With Heart Failure Importance: Only 1 class of glucose-lowering agents-sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors-has been reported to decrease the risk of cardiovascular events primarily by reducingSeptember 1, 2017: JAMA CardiologyAssociations of albuminuria in patients with chronic heart failure: findings in the ALiskiren Observation of heart Failure Treatment study.CONCLUSIONS: Increased UACR is common in patients with heart failure, including non-diabetics. Urinary albumin creatininineJul, 2011: European Journal of Heart FailureRandomized Controlled TrialEffects of Liraglutide on Clinical Stability Among Patients With Advanced Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction: A Randomized Clinical Trial.Review

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app

Read by QxMD is copyright © 2021 QxMD Software Inc. All rights reserved. By using this service, you agree to our terms of use and privacy policy.

You can now claim free CME credits for this literature searchClaim now

Get seemless 1-tap access through your institution/university

For the best experience, use the Read mobile app