JOURNAL ARTICLE

[Particle repositioning maneuver for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo of posterior semicircular canal]

G Xing, X Bu
Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke za Zhi 1999, 34 (3): 163-5
12764809

OBJECTIVE: To determine the effectiveness of particle repositioning maneuver (PRM) for the treatment of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

METHODS: Thirty one patients with BPPV of the posterior semicircular canal treated between July 1996 and June 1998 were retrospectively analyzed. Patients received a single treatment of PRM based on the hypothesis that the vertigo and nystagmus of BPPV were due to debris floating in the long arm of the posterior canal (canalithiasis). Treatment outcome was classified as cure (asymptomatic), improvement reduction of symptoms > 50%, or no change.

RESULTS: After a single treatment of PRM, complete remission of vertigo and nystagmus were found in 67.7% of the patients and improvement of the symptoms was found in 19.4% of the patients. The total improvement rate was 87.1%.

CONCLUSION: The particle repositioning maneuver was effective for most of the patients with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and can be recommended as the first-line treatment modality.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
12764809
×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"