JOURNAL ARTICLE
MULTICENTER STUDY

Unrelated stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma after a reduced-intensity conditioning with pretransplantation antithymocyte globulin is highly effective with low transplantation-related mortality

Nicolaus Kröger, Herbert Gottfried Sayer, Rainer Schwerdtfeger, Michael Kiehl, Arnon Nagler, Helmut Renges, Tatjana Zabelina, Boris Fehse, Francis Ayuk, Georg Wittkowsky, Norbert Schmitz, Axel Rolf Zander
Blood 2002 December 1, 100 (12): 3919-24
12393448
We investigated the feasibility of unrelated stem cell transplantation in 21 patients with advanced stage II/III multiple myeloma after a reduced-intensity conditioning regimen consisting of fludarabine (150 mg/m(2)), melphalan (100-140 mg/m(2)), and antithymocyte globulin (ATG; 10 mg/kg on 3 days). The median patient age was 50 years (range, 32-61 years). All patients had received at least one prior autologous transplantation, in 9 cases as part of an autologous-allogeneic tandem protocol. No graft failure was observed. At day 40 complete donor chimerism was detected in all patients. Grade II to IV acute graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) was seen in 8 patients (38%), and severe grade III/IV GVHD was observed in 4 patients (19%). Six patients (37%) developed chronic GVHD, but only 2 patients (12%) experienced extensive chronic GVHD. The estimated probability of nonrelapse mortality at day 100 was 10% and at 1 year was 26%. After allografting, 40% of the patients achieved a complete remission, and 50% achieved a partial remission, resulting in an overall response rate of 90%. After a median follow-up of 13 months, the 2-year estimated overall and progression-free survival rates are 74% (95% CI, 54%-94%) and 53% (95% CI, 29%-87%), respectively. A shorter progression-free survival was seen in patients who already experienced relapse to prior autograft (26% versus 86%, P =.04). Dose-reduced conditioning with pretransplantation ATG followed by unrelated stem cell transplantation provides durable engraftment and donor chimerism, reduces substantially the risk of transplant-related organ toxicity, and induces high remission rates.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
12393448
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"