JOURNAL ARTICLE
REVIEW

Paralytic shellfish poisoning: a potential public health problem

L Lehane
Medical Journal of Australia 2001 July 2, 175 (1): 29-31
11476199
Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) is a serious illness in which neurological symptoms predominate. Recovery is usually complete and uncomplicated, but in severe cases there may be respiratory paralysis and death. Most cases follow consumption of bivalve molluscs that have filter-fed on toxic marine microalgae (phytoplankton). Microalgae capable of causing the intoxication have been recorded in all States of Australia, and major toxic blooms have occurred in Tasmania, Victoria and South Australia.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
11476199
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"

We want to hear from doctors like you!

Take a second to answer a survey question.