JOURNAL ARTICLE

Life-threatening respiratory failure following accidental infusion of polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution into the lung

U Narsinghani, M Chadha, H C Farrar, K S Anand
Journal of Toxicology. Clinical Toxicology 2001, 39 (1): 105-7
11327218
Functional fecal retention is the most common cause of encopresis in children. Hospitalization may be required to clear the bowel following failure of outpatient management. Although the safety and efficacy of polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution is well established in children older than 6 months (1), its use should be carefully monitored in patients with altered mental status or impaired airway protective reflexes. We report the accidental infusion of NuLytely into the lungs of an 11-year-old female patient who consequently developed life-threatening acute lung injury. She rapidly developed respiratory failure requiring emergent tracheal intubation and suctioning, followed by mechanical ventilation. Careful monitoring is needed to avoid this potential complication if polyethylene glycol solution is infused via a nasogastric tube.

Full Text Links

Find Full Text Links for this Article

Discussion

You are not logged in. Sign Up or Log In to join the discussion.

Trending Papers

Remove bar
Read by QxMD icon Read
11327218
×

Save your favorite articles in one place with a free QxMD account.

×

Search Tips

Use Boolean operators: AND/OR

diabetic AND foot
diabetes OR diabetic

Exclude a word using the 'minus' sign

Virchow -triad

Use Parentheses

water AND (cup OR glass)

Add an asterisk (*) at end of a word to include word stems

Neuro* will search for Neurology, Neuroscientist, Neurological, and so on

Use quotes to search for an exact phrase

"primary prevention of cancer"
(heart or cardiac or cardio*) AND arrest -"American Heart Association"

We want to hear from doctors like you!

Take a second to answer a survey question.